Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Entertainment attorney Mike Novak dies at 57

Mike Novak, one of Detroit's top entertainment attorneys, died Sunday of a heart attack at his Grosse Pointe Shores home. He was 57.

Novak was Bob Seger's attorney for decades, and the singer was hit hard by the loss.

"I never knew a better guy," Seger said Monday, "and I know a lot of people. Just a truly good, good guy. He was always positive, my lawyer forever, and one of my best friends. He should have had a lot more years. Life isn't fair."

Novak was a clerk for Seger's attorney Patrick Freydl in the 1980s. When Freydl moved to California, Novak started working directly with Seger and his manager Punch Andrews.

"He's always been like a little brother to me. I mean, the guy was in our office every other day," Seger said. "He was our consigliere. We asked him about everything."

Novak also represented many radio clients as an attorney/agent, including WRIF-FM's morning team Drew and Mike.

The lifelong Detroiter attended Our Lady Queen of Heaven school in Detroit and was president of the class of 1973 at Detroit's Osborn High School. He received a bachelor's degree in film studies from New York University and, in 1980, earned his law degree from Wayne State University.

Film publicist Ken Droz met Novak when he was the attorney for Detroit promoter Brass Ring Productions in the 1980s. Droz remembered him as "a really fine attorney; he would never try to poach a client. Very high integrity."

"He was a true mensch," Droz said. "Always offering to help someone if he could, be it a musician, filmmaker, journalist, artist, friend or whatever."

In the 1970s, before he went to law school, Novak played drums in several blues bands, including the Progressive Blues Band, alongside former Detroit News reporter Lowell Cauffiel. Cauffiel recalled Novak's generosity.

"He never sent a bill to me when I was struggling," said Cauffiel, a writer/producer in Los Angeles. "My son Johnny got an offer for a two-record deal for his band, and Mike handled it without charge. He would just say, 'Catch me later, when you hit the big time.'"

For many of his clients, there would never be a big time, but Novak worked on their behalf anyway.

The attorney had many enthusiasms, including golf. "I loved playing golf with him," Seger said. "He turned me on to every course I play! The one I play down in Florida, he told me about that one. He's so interwoven into my whole life."

Along with his independent practice, Novak was counsel with the Troy firm Giarmarco, Mullins & Horton P.C.

He is survived by his wife, Loretta Ames, a sister and two brothers.

Visitation will be 2-9 p.m. Thursday at Verheyden Funeral Home, 16300 Mack Ave., Grosse Pointe Park.

On Friday, visitation will begin at 9:30 a.m. and a funeral mass will follow at 10:30 a.m. at St. Paul's on the Lake Catholic Church, 157 Lakeshore Drive, Grosse Pointe Farms.

No comments:

Post a Comment